Toxic to our pets... Xylitol

Posted: 19th December 2019

Keep sweet treats well out of reach over the festive season!

Xylitol is found in most sugar-free treats such as chewing gum, sweets and some types of peanut butter. It can also be used in toothpaste/mouthwash and in certain baked goods. If your pet ingests any such product, they’re at risk of vomiting, general discomfort, seizures and even death. Perhaps the following will serve as a useful rule: if it isn’t stated explicitly that it’s suitable or designed for pets, don’t feed it to them! Which foods contain it?

Some common examples include:

  • Chewing gum
  • Sugar-free sweets or mints
  • Toothpaste and mouthwash
  • Selected soft drinks, jellies and jams
  • Selected baked goods
  • Selected cereals
  • Certain types of peanut butter

Symptoms include:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy or drowsiness
  • Discoordination
  • Seizures and tremors

Please remember should you need us...

24-Hour Emergency Service
24hr CARE t: 0121 422 5411

At Manor Vets we are different to most veterinary practices because we have experienced vets and nurses on the premises around the clock every day of the year.

Toxic to our pets... Xylitol

Copyright © Manorvets 2020, All Rights Reserved

GDPR | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Cookie Policy

halesowen@manorvets.com | edgbaston@manorvets.com | northfield@manorvets.com | cradley@manorvets.com

Company registered name: Independent Vetcare Ltd.

Registered Number 07746795. Registered address: The Chocolate Factory, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 2AU.

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for credit-related regulated activities under reference number: FRN738010