Toxic Buttercups

Posted: 9th June 2020

Buttercups are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Although they have a bitter taste that will put dogs and cats off eating them, your horse may well indulge in some buttercups if their pasture is full of them. If you have buttercups growing in your garden, be mindful that the pollen may get on your dog or cat’s fur when they’re out playing, and they could ingest it by cleaning their own paws.

Symptoms of buttercup poisoning include:

  • Drooling
  • Blisters in the mouth
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • General weakness
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Paralysis (although this is rare)

What to do if your pet displays any symptoms, or if they ingest a poisonous plant If your pet displays any symptoms, or if you know they’ve eaten something they shouldn’t, you should contact us right away. t: 0121 422 5411

We are open seven days a week 24/7

Toxic Buttercups

Copyright © Manorvets 2020, All Rights Reserved

GDPR | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Cookie Policy

halesowen@manorvets.com | edgbaston@manorvets.com | northfield@manorvets.com | cradley@manorvets.com

Company registered name: Independent Vetcare Ltd.

Registered Number 07746795. Registered address: The Chocolate Factory, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 2AU.

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for credit-related regulated activities under reference number: FRN738010