Don’t Let Your Pet Lose Their Cool!
Posted: 24th June 2018
Our Vet’s have some simple tips to help keep your furry friends cool during hot weather:
For Cats and Dogs, we suggests:
- Dogs should ideally be walked early on a morning and/or later in the evening when it is cooler. Avoid the middle of the day if possible!
- Offer multiple sources of fresh water in case one gets knocked over. Ice cubes in water bowls will help keep water cool throughout the day.
- Pet water fountains help provide cool, filtered water to your Pet. They are also great for Cats who love to drink running water!
- Outdoor cats should be offered shelter/shade and plenty of opportunities to come inside out of the heat.
- Keeping blinds/curtains closed in a room will help keep indoor Pets cool and give them somewhere to go.
- Pets should NEVER be left in cars in warm weather!!!!!
Kathryn (one of our Exotic Vets) has the following advice for our Small Furry owners:
- Any Rabbits/Guinea Pigs that live outside should be moved somewhere in the shade and not in direct heat/sunlight. Rabbits are crepuscular, meaning that they are most active at dawn and dusk and would naturally hide in their burrow in the day.
- Small furries can be offered frozen water bottles as well and another water source to help keep them cool.
If you are worried about your Pet or think that they are showing signs of heatstroke then please call the practice immediatley.