Posted: 16th September 2020

Conkers may be synonymous with autumn, but few people realise that these can also pose a serious health risk to your pet if ingested.

Potentially all parts of the plant are toxic though it tends to be the seeds ‘conker’ and sometimes the spiky casing.

Although not very tempting when in their prickly case many dogs are tempted to pick them up and eat them once the smooth brown conker falls out…

Poisoning cases are rare but they can cause tummy problems and vomiting if eaten.

If you suspect your dog has eaten conkers look out for;

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Drooling
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Dehydration
  • Restlessness
  • Muscle tremors

Please be careful of the spiky outer layer… these shells can be very painful for your dog to walk on and can damage your dog’s pads.


Find us

Manor Vets 24 Hour
115 Kent Road
West Midlands
B62 8PB

Tel: 0121 422 5411


24-Hour Emergency

Vets & nurses on premises 24 hours a day, 365 days a year Tel: 0121 422 5411

At Manor Vets we are different to most veterinary practices because we have experienced vets and nurses on the premises around the clock every day of the year.

This enables us to deal with surgical and medical emergencies that arise during the night, as well as continued monitoring and care of hospitalised and critically ill patients.

Copyright © Manorvets 2020, All Rights Reserved

GDPR | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Cookie Policy | | |

Company registered name: Independent Vetcare Ltd.

Registered Number 07746795. Registered address: The Chocolate Factory, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 2AU.

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for credit-related regulated activities under reference number: FRN738010