Best for Bunny
Posted: 2nd December 2020
keep your rabbit warm!
Wintertime can be lots of fun for all the family but only if you’re prepared for the hazards that come with it.
Please help keep your rabbit warm, happy and safe from danger during cold spells…
Rabbit winter guide:
How to keep your rabbits warm and healthy through winter
- Keeping rabbit hutches warm in winter is very important, hutches should be positioned so that wind, rain, snow or sleet can’t blow in.
- If the weather’s particularly bad, move the hutch into an unused garage or shed if it’s possible. If your rabbit needs to stay outside, help keep them snug as a bug in their hutch by covering the front with an old blanket or sacking and adding extra bedding. Don’t forget you need to change their bedding regularly.
- Check their water bottle regularly because the little ball freezes easily. Press the ball every few hours to keep it moving – you can get specially made bottle covers but you’ll still need to do regular checks.
- Your rabbit still needs to have access to their run during the day, so they can get their regular exercise. Cold rabbits need more calories to keep warm so give them lots of good quality hay to nibble on.
- During the winter foxes and badgers get even hungrier, which makes them bolder than usual. Make sure your hutch is sturdy enough to survive the attention of a determined predator.