Conkers may be synonymous with autumn, but few people realise that these can also pose a serious health risk to your pet if ingested.
Potentially all parts of the plant are toxic though it tends to be the seeds ‘conker’ and sometimes the spiky casing.
Although not very tempting when in their prickly case many dogs are tempted to pick them up and eat them once the smooth brown conker falls out…
Poisoning cases are rare but they can cause tummy problems and vomiting if eaten.
If you suspect your dog has eaten conkers look out for;
- Abdominal Pain
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle tremors
Please be careful of the spiky outer layer… these shells can be very painful for your dog to walk on and can damage your dog’s pads.
Manor Vets 24 Hour
115 Kent Road
Tel: 0121 422 5411
Vets & nurses on premises 24 hours a day, 365 days a year Tel: 0121 422 5411
At Manor Vets we are different to most veterinary practices because we have experienced vets and nurses on the premises around the clock every day of the year.
This enables us to deal with surgical and medical emergencies that arise during the night, as well as continued monitoring and care of hospitalised and critically ill patients.